. All purpose flour (Maida) - 4 cups plus some extra flour for dusting
. Active dry yeast - 1 tbsp
. Sugar - ¼ cup
. Milk - ½ cup, luke warm
. Water - ½ cup, luke warm
. Salt - 2 ¼ tsp
. Butter sticks - 200 gms, cold
1) Take milk in a large bowl, add yeast, whisk nicely. Add sugar and salt, mix well.
2) Add flour and prepare a soft dough and knead dough for 15 minutes. The dough will be little sticky.
3) Cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow it to raise for 2 hours.
4) Meanwhile take cold butter on a butter paper. Sprinkle flour and fold the butter paper on the butter.With a rolling pin flatten the butter and roll it into a square.Refrigerate till needed.
5) After 2 hours punch dough to let air out and shape the dough into a square.
6) Now take out the dough and roll out to from a 12 inch square. Place the flat butter sheets in the center of the square and arrange next to each other. Fold one flap of the dough covering the butter, stretching it slightly so that the point just reaches the center of the butter. Repeat for rest of the flaps. Press the edges together to completely seal the butter inside the dough. Dust the dough and start rolling the dough lengthwise while keeping the width as is. Now fold one end of the dough (along the length) till the middle, and then fold the other end to the middle (both ends meet at the center). Fold the dough from the center so that the dough forms rectangular shape. Place the dough in a baking tray, cover and refrigerate for ½ hour.
Repeat this steps four times.
7) After four times roll the dough into a thin rectangle. Trim the sides to form a neat rectangle.
8) Cut it into triangles.Roll each triangle from wider end to pointed end to form croissant.
9) Arrange the rolled croissants on a greased baking tray, cover with a damp cloth and allow it to raise for 2 hours.
10) Brush the raised croissants with milk and bake at 175C till the crust is golden brown.
Enjoy light, crispy, flaky, buttery croissants with tea or coffee.